When many of us set out on this wonderful journey to change our lives, the planning stage consumes us. Reading, creating plans, having expectations, and looking at everything with such high hopes and plans of an easy change with gorgeous results. Dreaming and dreaming of how wonderful these changes will be for you and yours. Then, real life kicks you square in the teeth and there you sit. A million plans, a million dreams, and not a chance in hell to get where you want to be? Thank you real life! So, what do you do?
We currently own the house we live in, however we rent the land it sits on and thank God as I have no desire to own a chunk of grade F Nevada dirt. We have some animals, but no where near what we’d like to have. We have a “garden” but it’s far too small to provide us enough to live off of for a years time. We fight the wind, the heat, the sun, lack of rain, and at certain times of the year torrential downpours that cause massive flooding. We worry about our animals in the heat, 90% of our summer is spent trying to keep them cool, I mean since we live in hell and all. The fact that I thought living just outside Death Valley, where it reaches 130 degrees multiple times a year, was not the brightest idea I’ve ever have and so we pay for it. Because we produce just enough for us to eat while it’s ripe, I don’t get to can or process anything. Our chickens are all still young and producing at a rather rapid pace, so there’s no real butchering to take place. Needless to say, we’re a far cry from where we planned to be.
Our property isn’t really suitable for what we want to do, the environment here isn’t really either. So we move? But, that takes a butt load of money. We want to own our own property with several acres, but there’s no way I can take out a home loan just yet, so we’re stuck renting for a while longer. Life continues to kick us in the ass, and not allow us to move forward. Sound familiar? So, what do you do in the mean time? Well, here’s the 5 things we’re doing:
- Continue your research- Ever since I’ve discovered the blogging community, I’ve learned so much more than I ever thought possible. I have ideas for things I never knew existed. I’ve always been one of those people that want to be as prepared as I can be, that way when the surprises show up, I’m prepared. So take the time you have, and continue to learn as much as you possibly can.
- Plan, plan, and plan some more- I know, I know, this sounds counterproductive. Why make more plans when you’re not getting anywhere on the ones you have. Well, here’s my philosophy on this. If it’s something you’re serious about, then planning for it will never get old. The more you learn, the more you have to plan for. And to me, vast and elaborate planning is a great motivator! ( We are already using this as one of our great motivators, which I will tell you all about as soon as I’m able to.)
- Become a Skill Ninja- There are always things you can do, even if it means buying things to get it done. If one of the skills you want to learn how to do is bake an awesome loaf of sandwich bread so you don’t have to buy it anymore. Then take the time and perfect the best damn sandwich bread recipe you can come up with. Want to learn how to can, then find a few recipes and get practicing! The better you become at the skills you’re going to be using daily, the more they become second nature.
- Create a Resource Library- My tiny little brain can only retain so much information at a time. Once I know something, it’s stuck in there for good, but it’s the getting to know it that takes me a few tries. So, what did I do? I went to the dollar store and bought myself a composition book and a really awesome pen. Every time I find a recipe I really like, I write it down. Every time I come up with a better configuration for a chicken coop (there’s 12 of those now) I draw it out. Cleaning product recipes, making my own animal feed ratios, craft ideas, soap making, you name it if I think it’s something that will help us in the long run, it’s going in my books for future reference.
- Reevaluate- This is the one that’s been the hardest for us. We looked at the way we want to live, and the things we want. We’ve been making our plans, learning what we can, and we’re truly not happy where we are in things. So, we decided to reevaluate everything. What changes do we need to make to be where we want to be? What goals do we need to set to make our dream come true? And how can we make this happen.
If you’re truly serious about your dream, and lifestyle change, but life is getting in the way, expect serious frustrations. I’ve been more than frustrated for the last several months. I know the things we want to accomplish to be our version of completely happy. I know the changes we have to make in order to get to that point. So, one step at a time. Make the changes you need to make, in order to make your final change a reality. Holy shit balls that’s a lot of changing that has to happen! But then, if this was easy, you wouldn’t just be dreaming, you’d already be doing!
What are you doing to keep your dream alive when it’s just not right for it to be a reality? Let me know in the comments below!